lørdag den 14. juli 2018

PNC-3000 part 6

My 4jaw chuck is up and running, I had to grind off a few 0.01mm's of the jaws, and it is now running true.
In the meanwhile I had done a lot of speculations on how to make a new collet, problem is  that I need to slit it, but this can't really be done before it is drilled, and when it's cut off, I can't clamp it down to do the slitting. And if I don't cut it off the base stock, I won't be able to test the thread, and when it's cut off, it's difficult to correct the thread, hence my previous post..

I ended up taking a chance with the thread, which worked..

It ended up quite nice, but when I tested it for runout, it had the exact same as the original collet, and it was synchronous with the original collet. I guess this must have something to do with the way the thread is pulling.
I concluded that given the very similar properties of the two collets, attempting to make another one, would just be a waste of time.




The spindle itself has a runout of 0.01mm, which isn't impressive, just ok..

Despite having a ER11 chuck in the mail from China, I decided to make one myself instead, this way I could turn the internal taper, while the chuck was mounted in the spindle assembly all mounted in the Late, which in theory  sohould give me zero runout..


The two triangles I put on the drawing, helped me to indicate the angle of the top slide, to get the two tapers spot on.

In the lathe it all looked like this.

The steel used for the collet is 34CrNiMo6.. No I didn't come up with this particular choice myself, but I have a good friend, who knows something about steel. It's 35-38HRC, and has a bit of tendency to work harden, this gave me some challenges especially when drilling, since I only has HSS-G drillbits at hand, my guess is that HSS-Co would have been better, but the end result was pretty ok.

The taper was turned using a 6mm carbide end mill, and touched up with 600 grid sand paper.

So now the mill takes ER11, but somehow the 0.01mm runout still exists despite that I haven't had the chuck removed from the spindle..

But it's still ~5 times better than the original collet.

4 kommentarer:

  1. I was hoping to get a high resolution version of the collet dimensions. I picked up a Roland, but it came without any collects. Thanks Jim (email jim at winget dot com)

    SvarSlet
  2. Apparently it is impressively painful to have pictures expand to original size.. I've given up.. and added the picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/H9N4Uif6u5R7biHXA

    Hopefully Google will allow you to get the original size from there.

    SvarSlet
  3. Ralf

    Thank you. The diagram of the ER11 collet looks great at full resolution.
    I wondered if you ever accurately measured the original EDC-0624 collet. I have been searching the web for dimensions I could use to make a test collet for my machine. I'd like to try it out before I invest a huge amount of time.
    Thanks,Jim

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. The part that goes into the spindle is the same, so the ER11 collet drawing should represent the correct measurements. Only difference being the hole for the tool, and the hex in the end, to tighten the collet.
      The only thing I'm unsure about is the M9.5x1 thread in the end, but it does the job. My first attempt was M10x1, and that didn't work. But then again, I don't have a M10x1 thread gauge, so it could have been off spec.

      Slet