søndag den 15. juli 2018

PNC-3000 part 7

I revisited my edge finder plans and concluded that I needed something else, at least for now.
Instead of the electro mechanical approach, I decided to use a camera instead.
This was also a fine opportunity to do some actual milling on the mill.. :)


The concept is dead simple, and by no means new, you mount a camera to the mill, measure out the offset, and you're good.
The camera I used was a old Creative NX Pro 2, this happened to be the first camera that worked out of the box with the Linux distro I'm using on my CNC computer, and had a 12mm lens mount, so that I could swap the lens for a 6mm.

It was a bit of a challenge to get the camera aligned along the z-axis, because I put a o-ring in the lens mount, to make it more flexible, this probably isn't needed, so the next iteration of the 3D printed parts will be without the o-ring.
Also focus can be an issue, even though I have chosen a "Pro" webcam, the lens assembly, isn't designed for this kind of use, so if focus is adjusted, the camera will need to be realigned

I decided to just skip version 1 and jump directly onto version 2, and when something is Super, it must also be better. 😁

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar